It should never have been this hard in the first place.
Someone requests a medical record, and then they receive it. What’s so complicated about that? Apparently, everything. First of all, your ROI company is only doing the billable requests, leaving you with the other half. On top of that, their turnaround time is approaching two weeks, so now you’re the one dealing with all the complaints. Add to that, the 6,000-record request that you already know they won’t be able to handle. There has to be a simpler way to do ROI. Let’s not complicate this.
Three things have to change.
1. No Delays
Because turnaround time is so critical to patient care and outcomes, you should choose an ROI partner who is committed to processing requests within 24 hours of receipt.
• Reduce time-consuming back and forth communication with requesters – rather than sending rejection letters, patients are called if more information is needed
• Field patient requests six days a week – Offer a dedicated service team available via toll-free hotline Monday- Saturday
• Never let payment get in the way of a patient receiving a record – Your ROI vendor shouldn't initiate collection efforts or require prepayment from patients
• Be fully operational from day one – simplifying the transition process from another vendor, pick a technology that has been tested beforehand to eliminate any downtime
• Offer flexible delivery options – whether it’s electronic, CD, fax, or direct mail, the requester receives their record on their terms
2. No Shortcuts
Because QA and compliance are paramount, you should never cuts corners with patient confidentiality, information security, or the medical release process.
• Minimize breaches with a Triple QA process – a 100% quality assurance program means requesters will experience an accurate response to every ROI request
• Ensure complete satisfaction and patient confidentiality – ScanSTAT employees are HIPAA-Trained and Certified Release of Information Specialists with expertise in regulations at every level
• Get HIPAA compliant online tracking – with secure access to the release images by the hospital staff
• Securely release records to requesters – electronically or fax when possible, CD or direct mail when needed
• Experience continuously improved technology – get the benefit of feedback-driven improvements as old features are removed and new ones are deployed on a monthly basis
• Make sure patients are always treated with the utmost respect – For example, ScanSTAT employees go through an intense and ongoing training regimine, a big part of which includes a focus on customer service
3. No Smoke and Mirrors
Because ROI can be such an opaque transaction, insist on a vendor that is committed to giving clients and requesters much greater visibility into the process.
• Get transparent data reporting – see exactly what’s done with a request, what’s sent with that request, and when it goes out the door in an all-encompassing dashboard
• Access all financials – get every invoice generated, every invoice collected, and roll reports up daily, weekly, or monthly
• Use software developed by ROI professionals for ROI professionals – including an intuitive user interface that streamlines medical document requests, minimizes training, and increases efficiency
If your hospital or clinic is still dealing with headaches caused by cumbersome and inconsistent ROI and Document Filing processes, don’t take on the burden alone. Contact the experts here at ScanSTAT to help align your goals with your medical record release and management processes. Let’s not complicate this.